B.Sc. Botany or Bachelor of Science in Botany is an undergraduate Botany course. Botany, plant science or plant biology is a branch of biology that involves the scientific study of plant life. Botany covers a wide range of scientific disciplines concerned with the study of plants, algae and fungi, including structure, growth, reproduction, metabolism, development, diseases, chemical properties, and evolutionary relationships among taxonomic groups. Botany began with early human efforts to identify edible, medicinal and poisonous plants, making it one of the oldest sciences. The course structure of these courses is designed while keeping in mind the market demand for a skilled and efficient professional who can effectively cater to the demands of the growing botanical industry. Bachelor of Science in Botany is of three years duration course and the syllabus for the course is divided into six semesters.
The minimum eligibility to apply for Bachelor of Science in Botany is 55-60% in science stream in 10+2. Physics, chemistry and biology are the main subjects which are considered while giving admissions.
- Candidates those who are skillful at computer, field and laboratory research, Problem-Solving, self-Assessment and Cooperation/ Social Responsibility are the most appropriate ones.
- Second, the Botany students who have well at communication skills both oral and written are a suitable match for this course.
- Those who want to pursue their studies further for Master’s degree and then for research work are also a good match for the course.
- Candidates who like nature and its flora and fauna also can go for it.
- There exists a lot of scope after B.Sc. in Botany, for instance, a student can apply for higher studies like M.Sc. Botany, M.Phil. programs or students who are interested in management jobs can also apply for MBA programs, students interested in the teaching profession can opt for B.Ed. degree.
- Job opportunities are also wide as research organizations, herbal products companies, farm management organizations; biotechnology firms always require the services of botany students.
- After having passed the degree course plant scientists can work in the State Departments, Botanical Survey of India, and Environmental Protection Agency, etc.
- Applicants also can work in administration and marketing for biological supply houses, seed companies, biotechnology firms and pharmaceutical manufacturers.
- Colleges & Universities
- Pharmaceutical Company
- Food and Herbal Industry
- Nursery Farms
- Environmental Consultancies
- Medical Content Writings
- Plant Pathologist
- Farming Consultant
- Environmental Consultant
- Molecular Biologist
- Plant Biochemist
- Nursery Manager
- Forester/Park Ranger
- Plant Explorer