M.Sc. Forensic Sciences or Master of Science in Forensic Sciences is a postgraduate Forensic Science course. Forensic Science (often shortened to forensics) is the application of a broad spectrum of sciences to answer questions of interest to a legal system. Forensic science uses all the principles of various branches of science and applies them in the experiments to draw an exact conclusion. In M.Sc. Forensic Sciences, one needs to study the various principles and theories that are applicable in Forensic science. The duration of Master of Science in Forensic Sciences is mostly of two academic years but it may vary from institute to institute and also may be on a part-time basis by certain institutes. The syllabus for the course is divided into four semesters and it is career orienting in nature.
- The candidates should complete (B.Sc.) preferably with Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, Botany, Biochemistry, Microbiology, B.Pharm., BDS or Applied Science.
- The marks of admission for this course may vary from University to University.
- Those who are willing to go for teaching fields at higher degree level i.e. college and university level both in private and government institutions are a good suit for it.
- They should have an inquisitive nature and a concern for accuracy is the main attribute required to be in this field.
- They should have the skills like observation, intelligence, an eye for detail, ability to work along with a team, a logical, practical and methodical approach.
- They should be able to manage their time well as it is crucial both for career and degree.
- One can go for higher degree programs in respective subjects such as M.Phil. & Ph.D.
- Candidates can find employment in enforcement agencies, police and legal system and in the investigative services of the government and also private agencies.
- They have also the option of working as teachers in institutes that conduct courses in this subject.
- Other areas of a career in the government organisations such as the Intelligence Bureau (IB), the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) are as investigative officers in the crime cells of state police forces.
- Colleges and Universities
- Forensic Labs
- Investigation Agencies
- Police Departments
- Intelligent Services
- Corrections Officer
- Customs Agent
- Forensic Psychologist
- Compliance Officer
- Police Detective, Police Officer
- Crime Scene Investigation
- Private Security, Private Investigator
- Secret Service
- Forensic Medicine Professor
- Coast Guard