M.Sc. Biochemistry or Master of Science in Biochemistry is a postgraduate Biochemistry Science course. Biochemistry, also called biological chemistry, is the study of chemical processes in living organisms, including, but not limited to, living matter. It governs all living organisms and living processes. By controlling information flow through biochemical signalling and the flow of chemical energy through metabolism, biochemical processes give rise to the incredible complexity of life. Much of biochemistry deals with the structures and functions of cellular components such as proteins, carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids and other bio-molecules although increasingly processes rather than individual molecules are the main focus. The program aims to provide a sound understanding of every aspect of the structure and function of living things at the molecular level and to utilize the knowledge for the benefit of mankind. The course duration is two years duration both on regular and distance basis and the syllabus is divided into four semesters.
Candidates should have secured 40% marks in aggregate and studied Chemistry or Biochemistry securing 50% marks in this subject at the B.Sc. level and studied Biology at 10+2 or Pre-University.
- Those who have the ability to understand complex biological processes; having a full and critical understanding of relevant texts are the most suitable for it.
- Other essentials are assembling arguments and engaging in debate; critical and analytical skills; independent thinking and problem-solving.
- Students who have an understanding and familiar with assembling arguments and engaging in debate, critical and analytical skills, independent thinking and problem-solving can go for this course.
- Other skills required for it are practical skills, numeracy skills, communication, presentation and IT skills, interpersonal and teamwork skills, self-management and professional development skills. So candidates having these merits are a good match for it.
- They can join the teaching profession for courses like B.Sc., M.Sc., B.Pharm., BPT, NURSING, MBBS, BE biotech as all these courses have biochemistry as one of the papers.
- Exciting opportunities await them in biotechnology and biochemical firms abroad, entrepreneurship qualities can set up one’s own biotech firms, diagnostic firms or pharmaceutical companies.
- They can also join science jobs such as which include a range of research, technical and related careers within private and public organizations.
- They can opt for a Junior Research Fellowship after M.Sc. by appearing for the UGCCSIR JRF/NET exam. After it, they can go for lectureship and a career in research and development, consulting or allied work.
- Research Laboratories
- Pharmaceutical Industries
- Diagnostic Centres
- Biotechnology firms
- Health care centres and Clinical Laboratories
- Join in as scientific writers in life science companies
- Medical transcriptionists
- Clinical trial and drug designing
- Scientists in national and international research labs
- Entering into Ph.D. program
- Consultant - Clinical Biochemistry
- Guest Lecturer - Biochemistry
- Assistant Professor - Biochemistry
- Technician - Biochemistry
- Reader - Physiology & Biochemistry
- Medical Laboratory Technician
- Business Specialist - Bioscience
- M.Phil. (Biochemistry)
- Ph.D. (Biochemistry)