M.Sc. Applied Botany or Master of Science in Applied Botany is a postgraduate Environmental Science course. Applied Botany is an area that studies plant life scientifically. This is a survey course on the principles of Botany and general plant care. Some of the topics covered are; nature of cells, photosynthesis, plant structure and function, regional characteristics, plants in our lives, types of propagation and vegetable and flower gardening. The course is career offering in nature that opens many opportunities after its successful passing.
Aspiring candidates should have passed B.E./B.Tech. or equivalent degree with minimum 50% marks or equivalent CGPA.
- One should have good interpersonal skills, mental stamina to work long hours.
- They must have clear and concise verbal and written communication skills, a high level of curiosity about the world around them, be creative in solving problems and yet have a good understanding of the scientific method and the rigors of scientific research.
- Those who have the ability to expertise in conservation biology like ex-situ conservation, response to habitat change, genotype characterization and reproductive biology are suitable for it.
- Candidates can become teacher in schools on private basis and after passing NET exam can become permanent lecturer in colleges/universities.
- The course also helps in other fields like to study climate change and adaptation of species complexes in ESAs (Ecological Sensitive Areas) of the country with focus on adaptive/stress biology.
- The Master Degree course serves a good base for further higher studies in this field such as Ph.D. and M.Phil.
- They can also have jobs in private industry, museums and botanical gardens.
- Biological Supply Houses
- Biotechnology Firms
- Chemical Industry
- Educational Institutions
- Food Companies
- Forest Services
- Land Management Agencies
- National Parks
- Oil Industry
- Plant Health Inspection Services
- Plant Resources Laboratory
- Seed and Nursery Companies
- Assistant Elementary Educational Officer
- Assistant Professor - Botany
- Biotech Marketing Executive
- Business Specialist - Bioscience
- Clinical Business Associate/Medical Representative
- Management Executive
- Plant Morphologist
- Plant Physiologist
- Plant physiologist
- Plant Taxonomist
- Scientific Data Curator
- Sub-Editor - Medicine and Life Sciences