M.Sc. Medical Lab Technology or Master of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology (sometimes abbreviated as MLT) is a postgraduate Medical Lab Technologist course. Medical laboratory technology is the branch of medical science responsible for performing laboratory investigations relating to the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. During the course, students are introduced about the diagnosis of diseases, the implementation and monitoring of therapies to treat disease and the like many other areas. The duration of the course is two years and it opens many job scopes for the candidates after the completion of the degree.
They must have passed degree like B.Sc. MLT/B.Sc. Nursing/Microbiology/Biotechnology/Biochemistry/Zoology/Bioinformatics or equivalent B.Sc. from a recognized university.
- Candidates should have stamina as they may need to work a good deal of time, standing.
- They should exercise special care when handling infectious materials or dangerous chemicals.
- They should have an eye for detail, be self-sufficient, precise, dedicated and self-motivated.
- They should have the ability to conduct research, finish tasks with speed as well as with accuracy, to handle stress, make an analytical judgment, interpreting technical/scientific data, knowledge of laboratory instrumentation; mechanical ability and the ability to use computers are a good-suit for it.
- In the clinical areas, they must do drug testing, therapeutic drug monitoring and biogenetics.
- They can also work as a Laboratory Manager/Consultant/supervisor, health care Administrator, Hospital Outreach coordination, laboratory information system Analyst/Consultant, educational consultant/coordinator/director, health and safety officer etc.
- They can have been assigned to a specialized area of work in a large medical lab. In small labs, they may perform a variety of tests or all areas of lab work.
- They have also teacher options both in schools and colleges after passing some certain degrees like B.Ed. and UGC-NET.
- Colleges & Universities
- Commercial Clinical Laboratories
- Nursing Homes
- Pharmaceutical Laboratories
- Public Health Facilities
- Analytical Chemistry Associate/Scientist
- Blood Bank Technician
- Blood Transfusion Assistant
- Drug Safety Associate
- Lab Assistant
- Lab Technician Trainee
- Lab Technician/Medical Technician
- Medical Lab In-charge
- Medical Officer
- Medical Technologist
- Research & Development Manager (Laboratory)
- Technical Officer
Medical Lab Technician