B.Sc. Optometry or Bachelor of Science in Optometry or Ophthalmic Optics is an undergraduate Optometric course. Optometry is a health care profession which is concerned with the health of the eyes and related structures. B.Sc. (Optometry) degree course includes the study of the examination, diagnosis, and treatment of eyes, especially related to visual, optical symptoms, refractive errors and their correction, using lenses and other optical aids. The B.Sc. (Optometry) degree course covers the study of vision screening (eye testing), diagnosis of visual problems, orthoptics, and vision training, optometric counseling of patients with partial sight, color blindness and hereditary vision defects, and designing and fitting of spectacles, contact lens, and low vision aids. The duration of the course is three years (four years in some universities which include one year of internship) and it is an important and career orienting in nature which provides widespread scopes to the candidates.
- Aspiring students should have passed 10+2 or equivalent examination in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, Biology and/or Mathematics from a recognized board of the country.
- Some reputed colleges and institutes also conduct an entrance examination to get admission to their B. Sc. (Optometry) degree course.
- Selection to the degree course in these colleges is based on marks secured in the final merit i.e. total marks aggregated in the final exams of 10+2 and the entrance exam.
- They should have patience, good manner, good vision and coordination.
- They should have also self-discipline, a disposition to serve others, work ethics characterized by dedication and persistence and the ability to deal tactfully with patients.
- Those who want to have Master’s degree aiming to become a lecturer at college/universities levels also are a good match for it.
- Candidates who can do hard work for long hours have teamwork spirit and managerial skills also can go for this course.
- B.Sc. (Optometry) degree serves as a basis for further higher studies in this field such as M.Sc., Ph.D. and M.Phil. Degree in Optometry, the successful completion of which makes one eligible for the post of a lecturer in any university/college.
- The scope for optometric practice in India and abroad is vast. It is a dynamic and challenging career in which one could achieve personal growth and get respect from society. It also offers job flexibility, financial success and unlimited opportunities.
- They can go for further higher studies and research work in the field of Optometry and taking up the job of teacher/lecturer in several universities and colleges.
- After passing the course, they can establish an independent practice by starting their own eye clinic, optical shop, lens manufacturing unit, etc.
- Contact Lens and Ophthalmic lens industry
- Eye Clinics
- Eye Doctors
- Health Consultants
- Hospital Eye Departments
- Lens Manufacturing Units
- Multinational Companies dealing with Eye Care Products as Professional Services Executives
- Occupational Health Sector
- Optical Shops
- Optician Showrooms
- Sales Executive
- Eye Doctor