B.Sc. Medical Imaging Technology or Bachelor of Science in Medical Imaging Technology is an undergraduate Medical Lab Technologist course. Medical imaging technology is the technique and process used to create images of the human body or parts and function thereof for clinical purposes (medical procedures seeking to reveal, diagnose or examine disease) or medical science including the study of normal anatomy and physiology. Although imaging of removed organs and tissues can be performed for medical reasons, such procedures are not usually referred to as medical imaging, but rather are a part of the pathology. The duration of the course of three years and it may be in some cases more or less than this. The degree course is an important and job providing in nature. There are many colleges and universities which are offering this course on their campuses.
- Minimum Qualification for it is 10+2 with science stream with English, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics as optional subjects, and has scored not less than 40% of marks in Physics, Chemistry and Biology.
- They should have passed the pre-university course from a recognized Board with a vocational course in Radiography/Radiology.
- One should have an eye for detail, be self-sufficient, precise, dedicated and self-motivated also are a good suit for it.
- They should be healthy and sturdy as they may need to work a good deal of time, standing for hours.
- They should have the ability to conduct research, finish tasks with speed and accuracy, to handle stress, make an analytical judgment, interpreting technical/scientific data, knowledge of laboratory instrumentation, mechanical ability and the ability to use computers are the most suitable for this course.
The Bachelor of Science in Medical Imaging program provides students with a diversified plan of study in advanced imaging (CT and MRI), healthcare management, technical support knowledge (PACS and QM), and general studies in a balanced curriculum to prepare them for advancement in multiple career roles or continuation to graduate study. Employment opportunities include: -
- Advanced Imaging Modalities (CT or MRI)
- Healthcare Management or Administration
- PACS Administration
- Quality Management
- Commercial or Industrial (sales and support)
- Graduate School (Radiologist Assistant or other graduate studies)
- Diagnostic Centres
- Doctor’s Offices
- Educational & Research Institutes
- Radiology Clinics
- Area Sales Manager
- Imaging Research Assist. Manager
- Lead Medical Image Analysis Scientist
- Marketing Executive
- Medical Advisor
- X-ray Technician
M.Sc. (Medical Imaging Technology)