B.Sc. or Bachelor of Science is an undergraduate course. The duration of Bachelor of Science Course spans over a period of three years spanning six Semesters. Three years is the minimum time period between which one can pass the course, the maximum time period is generally six years, however, this time duration may vary depending upon the Institutes’ Policy. A candidate needs to study 5-6 subjects out of which 2 are Compulsory and 3 are Elective depending upon the Institute. There are limited numbers of combinations of subjects one can opt for depending upon the availability of choices in various Institutes. Bachelor’s in science offers very specified knowledge about certain subject areas, usually in one of the three main science fields of Chemistry, Biology or Physics. It is also known as B.S., B.Sc. (General) and B.Sc. (Pass Course). It is General and Passes Course as it is not Subject Specific and one can choose several combinations of subjects, apart from 1-2 Compulsory Subjects. The course can be pursued either as a Full-Time Graduate Course or Part-Time Graduate Course i.e. through Correspondence or Distance Education depending upon one’s choice.
Bachelor of Science Degree Course is designed to develop graduates with the key practical skills and interdisciplinary knowledge. The students are involved in completing pre-planned lab work based on text-books and reading and adapting to well-known theories. Students study an extensive range of courses and perform research in their choice of field. Bachelor of Science degree programs are mostly meant for those students who have a strong background in Mathematics and the Sciences. Whether a subject is considered a science, or art can vary between universities. For example, an economics degree may be given as a B.A. by one university but as a B.Sc. by another. Biology, Biochemistry, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, General Science, Earth science and Computer Science are almost universally considered to be Sciences. Most of the Institutes offer a change of Elective Subjects in the 2nd year depending upon one’s performance or choice. Certain Institutes admit students who have passed 1st or a 2nd year from another institute depending upon fulfillment of the institute’s rules and regulations. B.Sc. is amongst the most common and reputed course provided by almost all the educational institutes.
- Students with 50% in H.S.C. examinations (10+2) from a recognised Education Board with Science stream can opt for Bachelor of Science.
- Generally, 50% of marks are required but the percentage may vary from state to state and from institute to institute. Some Institute may conduct an Entrance Test as well.
- Candidates with good stimulating curiosity and promoting scientific discovery are good suit for it.
- Candidates willing for increasingly inter and multi-disciplinary science careers are also suitable.
- Students' who are working on cutting-edge research are the first ones to benefit from that research.
- B.Sc. graduates are not limited to just science-based fields they can work in a wide variety of non-scientific areas as well.
- Apart from research and government jobs, science graduates can also find jobs in business, marketing, technical writing, banking sector etc.
- Bachelor of Science Jobs includes Biology Researcher, Chemist, Dairy Technologist, Doctor, Ecologist, Geneticist, Lecturer, Laboratory Technician, Marine Geologists, Oceanographers, Pharmacist, Plant Biochemist, Science Adviser, Taxonomist, Toxicologist etc.
- Agriculture Industry
- Biotechnology Firms
- Chemical Industry
- Educational Institutes
- Environmental Management and Conservation
- Food Institutes
- Forensic Crime Research
- Forest Services
- Geological Survey Departments
- Health Care Providers
- Industrial Laboratories
- Oil Industry
- Pharmaceuticals and Biotechnology Industry
- Research Firms
- Seed and Nursery Companies
- Space Research Institutes
- Testing Laboratories
- Waste-water Plants
- Wildlife and Fishery Departments
- Assist. Research Scientist
- Drug Safety Associate
- Forensic Science Specialist
- Pharmacovigilance Expert
- Quality Analyst
- Teacher & Lecture