B.D.S. or Bachelor of Dental Surgery is an undergraduate Dentistry course. The duration of Bachelor of Dental Surgery course is 4 years regular study followed by 1 year of internship. After M.B.B.S., Bachelor of Dental Surgery is one the most sought after course in the field of medical science. B.D.S. enables one to become a Dentist. Dental Courses comprise didactic lectures, demonstrations, group discussions, seminars, clinical work and conferences. Aspiring candidates learn about various forms of treatment including Surgical Procedures, Dental materials, Dental anatomy & Oral histology, Oral Pathology, Community Dentistry, Pedodontics, Oral Medicine & Radiology etc. which are some of the topics that are generally taught. There are various Dental Schools and Dental Colleges which impart the education of bachelor in dentistry.
Dental School Requirements include H.S.C. (10+2) with English, Physics, Chemistry and Biology with at least 50% marks. Admission to graduate courses in dentistry is through a general, nationwide competitive examination.
- Candidates who have a passion for serving humanity are the most suitable for pursuing the course. B.D.S. is meant for strong minded people who can bear ghastly sights and smells.
- To diagnose trainees will have to conduct physical examination which will expose one to obnoxious smell from both medicine and patient's mouth.
- One should be mentally prepared to keep this fact in mind before opting for this course. Surgery requires patience and a calm mind. Certain surgeries require physical stamina too.
- Dentistry Schools enable one to work as a Dentist in government or Private Hospitals or open up his/her own dental clinic, to serve the society.
- Apart from being a service to humanity, a career in the field of dental science is one of the most lucrative options in the present time.
- B.D.S. produces a Dentist who is socially acceptable and is able to work safely and effectively on patients in diagnosis, prevention and treatment of dental and oral disease.
- Dental Clinics
- Dental Equipment Manufacturers
- Dental Products Manufacturers
- Educational Institutes
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Private Practice
- Research Institutes
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Assistant
- Public Health Specialist
- Oral Pathologist
- Dental Surgeon
- Medical Representative/Sales Representative
- Dental Lab Technician/Ceramist
- Private Practitioner
- Dental Surgeon.