B.Tech. Marine Engineering or Bachelor of Technology in Marine Engineering is an undergraduate Marine Engineering course. Marine engineering is a branch of Engineering that deals with nautical architecture and science. The term ‘Marine Engineering’ is meant for research conducted in oceans and coastal or inland waters connected to the sea. Marine Engineering courses deal with construction and maintenance of ships and other sailing vessels as well. The engineering discipline concerned with the machinery and systems of ships and other marine vehicles and structures. During the course, marine engineers deal with a wide range of systems, including diesel engines, gas turbines, boilers, steam turbines, heat exchangers, and pumps and compressors; electrical machinery; hydraulic machinery; refrigeration machinery; steam, water, fuel oil, lubricating oil, compressed gas, and electrical systems; equipment for automation and control; equipment for firefighting and other forms of damage control; and systems for cargo handling. The time of the course is four years. The course is very important and in today’s time its value has increased many times due to coastal security reasons.
- For seeking admission to the B.Tech. (Marine Engineering) course, candidates must have completed their 10+2 with Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry subjects with not less than 60% of aggregate marks from a recognized board of education.
- The other requirement is that candidates must have secured a minimum of 50% of marks in English.
- They should have excellent technical knowledge, math and IT skills, organising quality, team spirit and practical thinking and common sense.
- He should possess an aptitude to be calm under pressure and should know how to manage the situation. Once in the profession he should always update his knowledge and should be aware of the latest developments. As they are working with big equipments and engines, patience is another essential skill that Marine engineers should have.
- They should have an awareness of health and safety procedures. Moreover, he should enjoy sea travel and should be dedicated to his job.
- Candidates, who have completed their B.E. or B.Tech. course in marine engineering, can take up Master of technology course in Marine Engineering or they can also take up their M.Tech. course in any other branches of engineering of their interest.
- Some of the previously mentioned institutions like International Maritime Academy themselves appoint candidates who have completed their B.Tech. Marine Engineering as junior engineering on merchant ships. Once a candidate successfully completes the required period as junior engineer, he is permitted to take up competency examination for getting to post of Chief Engineer.
- Some of the Shipping Companies that conduct campus interviews for the Final semester pass-out cadets for direct recruitment. These are: -
- Shipping Corporation of India
- Great Eastern shipping
- Varun Shipping
- Wilco Ship Management & Transport Pvt. Ltd.
- Mobil Shipping Co. Ltd.
- Chevron Manning Services Ltd.
- Mitsui OSK lines
- Barbar Ship Management Ltd. Australia
- Ravenscroft Shipping Inc.
- Seearland Ship Mgmt. Ltd. Austria
- Orinoco Marine Consultancy Pvt. Ltd.
- Nortrans Pvt. Ltd..
- Anglo Eastern Shipping Mgmt. Ltd.
- Neptune Orient Lines Pvt.
- Chellaram Shipping Pvt. Ltd.
- V-Ships Inc.
- Colleges & Universities
- Engine Production Firms
- Coastal Marine Construction Companies
- Ship Building Firms
- Research Bodies
- Ship Design Firms
- Indian Navy
- Senior Manager
- Marine Outside Sales Engineer
- Marine Engineering Officer
- Service Engineer/Mechanical Engineer (Shipping/Marine)
- Marine Surveyor
- Service Engineer (Mechanical)
- Marine Engineer
- Trainee Marine Engineer
- Coastal Marine Engineer
- Structural Engineer
- Marine Sales Manager
M.Tech. (Marine Engineering)