B.A. or Bachelor of Arts or B.A. (general) is an undergraduate course. It can be defined as a broad subdivision of culture composed of many expressive disciplines. The course can be pursued either as a full-time graduate course or part-time graduate course i.e. through correspondence or distance education depending upon one’s choice. B.A. is often referred to as simply B.A. or B.A. Pass Course. It is general in the sense that it is not subject Specific and one can choose a number of combinations of subjects, apart from 1-2 Compulsory Subjects. These combinations vary from institute to institute. These subjects can from the Liberal Arts, the Sciences, or both. Normally, a candidate needs to study 5-6 Subjects 1–2 Compulsory and 3 Electives in 6 Semesters.
Arts students have the option to choose to major and minor in English, French, any other linguistics course, Psychology, Sociology, Philosophy, History, Religious Studies and more subject areas. The duration of the course is three years, however, in some countries; this duration is 4 years especially in Canada, Japan, the Russian Federation, Scotland, United States etc. In India and other countries like some of the European Union countries, Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore etc. have 3 years of duration of the course. Those candidates who are unable to clear it in 3 years can clear it in a certain number of years depending upon the education policy. Most of the Institutes offer a change of Elective Subjects in the 2nd year depending upon one’s performance or choice. Certain Institutes admit students who have passed 1st or the 2nd year from another institute depending upon fulfilment of the institute’s rules and regulations.
B.A. Course is one of the oldest known courses and the most common course provided by almost all the educational institutes.
- Aspiring students should have passed an H.S.C. examination (10+2) from a recognized Education Board with Science, Arts or Commerce stream can opt for Bachelor of Arts.
- Generally, 50% of marks are required but the percentage may vary from state to state and from institute to institute.
- Students willing to become lecturer and professor are suitable for it. They need to pass some certain qualifications for it.
- They should be familiar with humanity subjects as it is a plus point for them during the study.
- Students with good interpersonal and communications skills are suited for it.
- Apart from Compulsory Subjects, there is a wide range of subjects to choose from. As such the course offers a wide range of postgraduate options and career opportunities.
- Bachelor of Arts is a flexible course allowing students to adapt to changing demands of the employment market and meet their career demands.
- Arts provides a set of general, portable and lasting skills vital to any career, such as the ability to research an issue, present an argument, analyze information, communicate clearly and relate well to people.
- It develops communication, research, and analytical skills. For example, the ability to analyze tasks, set priorities and communicate goals to others.
- B.A. degree course opens up a wide range of opportunities for the students in journalism, advertising, management, marketing, administration, politics, public services, police force, teaching, psychology etc.
- Advertising Agencies
- Broadcasting Centres
- Business Process Outsourcing Units
- Community Service Centres
- Film Editing and Direction Units
- Graphics and Printing Industry
- Journalism and Mass Communication
- Library and Information Science
- Professional Writing
- Religious Studies
- Social Work Departments