Download Karnataka Government Polytechnic, Mangalore Fee Structure 2022
About The College
Karnataka Government Polytechnic, Mangalore
Karnataka Government Polytechnic, Mangalore provides quality training to eligible students and prepares them as good technicians to suit the needs of industry, services and self employment, be innovative and succeed as good citizens. The training is provided in a conducive environment of safety and care taking and by a set of qualified, dedicated staff who are keen on self development and responsive to change.
Ever since its inception in 1945, the polytechnic is catering to the technical educational needs of the poor and meritorious students of coastal Karnataka as well as other regions of our country. In addition to regular three year diploma programs in 8 disciplines, KPT is also provides opportunities and leadership in continuing education to adults in the field of technician education by offering various non formal need based courses. Being a Government institute, the focus is always on serving the society and promoting social justice.
Established in 1946 with four diploma engineering branches namely Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Automobile, today KPT offers 8 Diploma Engineering programmes.
The diploma engineering branches in Chemical , Polymer technology, Electronics and Communication and Computer Science were added to the existing courses later.
Located 2 km from the heart of Mangaluru City – the Coastal city of Karnataka, on Panvel-Gao-Edapally NH17 Road.
Sprawling campus spread over an area of 19 acres.
Provides an ideal ambience to stimulate the teaching-learning process, helping in bringing out skilled and disciplined Diploma Engineers.
Rated one amongst the top Government Diploma Engineering Institutions in the state.
Current annual student intake for Diploma Engineering is in excess of 1500.
Highly qualified and dedicated faculty.
Facilities in Karnataka Government Polytechnic, Mangalore
Karnataka Govt Polytechnic Mangalore is located in the heart of Mangalore city in a sprawling land of 18 acres having spacious building. The key infrastructural facilities of the polytechnic include :
- Spacious classrooms and drawing halls
- Well equipped laboratories in each branch to impart practical training of latest technology
- Computer labs with internet facility
- Comprehensive library having more than 25000 volumes
- Two Boys’ hostel having capacity to accommodate total 150 inmates located close to the Institute
- Two Girls’ hostel having capacity to accommodate total 100 inmates located close to the Institute
- Canteen for students and staff
- Well Equipped Seminar hall/Model Class room
- Separate vehicle parking place for staff and students
- Facility for indoor and outdoor sports
- Well-Spaced auditorium
- Play Ground Facility
The library of Karnataka Govt Polytechnic Mangalore is a knowledge center with a vision to serve information needs of its students and faculty. It has a good collection of more than 25000 volumes covering all branches of Science and Engineering. The library is equipped with text books, reference books, encyclopaedias, dictionaries, hand books, data books etc. In addition, the library has subscribed to 8 news papers and 10 magazines to meet the general requirements of its users. The library also has seating arrangements for its users to read books and prepare notes.
Students are provided with two library cards for borrowing books. Books are issued to the students on presentation of library cards for a period of 14 days. An overdue charge of 50 paise per day per book is levied from the due date till the book is returned to the library. If the books are lost, then the borrower should replace the books of the same edition or latest edition or pay double the cost of the book after getting permission from the librarian.
SC/ST students are provided with the facility to borrow additional two books from the SC/ST book bank and use them throughout the semester.
In the polytechnic, there is a general student association to promote the hidden talents of the students. The following sub committees work under the student association for the overall development of the students
- Sports committee
- Magazine committee
- Cultural committee
- Student counseling center
- Discipline committee
- Environment control/safeguard committee
Principal is the president of the student general association. Class representatives of each class is member. All heads of sections, Registrar and Office Superintendent are also members. One senior staff is nominated as Students Welfare Officer and another staff is nominated as treasurer. Talents day is arranged each year to give opportunity to the students to exhibit their talents and win prizes. The elected representatives and secretaries of various committees conduct a meeting every week along with SWO and principal to plan and implement various activities
Scheme of Community Development Through Polytechnics (CDTP)
The polytechnic is one of the polytechnics selected for Community Development Through Polytechnic (CDTP) scheme by Ministry of Human Resource Development. Through this scheme we provide a community-Institute interface so that Science and Technology inputs can be transferred to the community through skills training, technology transfer and organization of support services. The rural community deserves a fair share of benefits from the investments in technical education system. Under this scheme we cover 30 villages though our main center and the extension centers located at the following places places.
1) Yekkar Village 2) Ajar Village 3) KanchinadkaPadavu, Yeera Village 4) Kavoor Village 5) Vogga Village 6) B.C.Road 7) Kadambodi Village 8) Shakthinagar 9) Bappanadu, Mulki.
The Scheme of Community Development through Polytechnics (CDTP) was initiated in the XI Plan Period and is presently mandated to continue till the end of XII Plan Period.
CDTP scheme envisages providing non formal, short term, employment oriented skill development programmes, through AICTE approved Polytechnics, to various sections of the community, particularly the rural, unorganized & disadvantaged sections of the society, to enable them to obtain gainful self / wage employment. Duration of training usually ranges from three to six months. These courses offered by the Polytechnics in their premises, as well as through extension centres, e set up in nearby locations, from where, these courses can be offered to the local community. No fees charged from the trainees under this Scheme and no restriction of age and qualification for the trainees.
Youth Red Cross
“Youth Red Cross” is the most important constituent of its parent organization, Indian Red Cross Society. A group activity organized within the college for students aged between 18 and 25 years. A qualified lecturer recognized as the leader and thus called the programme officer. Under his guidance, the students hence trained and encouraged to carry out the activities of the Red Cross Society.
The Youth Red Cross Wing of Karnataka Govt Polytechnic Mangalore established during the year 2012-13 with an motive of creating social responsibilities among the youth and encouraging them to involve voluntarily in the activities of INDIAN RED CROSS SOCIETY.
Activities of Youth Red Cross Wing of Karnataka Govt Polytechnic Mangalore:
- Promotion of health and hygiene
- Service to others
- National Integration
- World friendliness
- Relief work during emergencies like flood, fire and other natural calamities
- Literacy campaign
- Avoidance of drugs-Say no use of drugs
- AIDS awareness
- Communal harmony-Conflict resolution
- Community services
- Blood donation
- Health check camps
- The Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE) is a national, professional, non-profit making Society registered under the Societies Registration Act of 1860. The major ive of the ISTE is to assist and contribute in the production and development of top quality professional engineers and technicians needed by the industries and other organizations. Being the only national organization of educators in the field of Engineering and Technology, ISTE effectively contributes in various missions of the Union Government. The Ministry of Human Resource Development, CTE/DST/MIT/State Governments , well associated with the ISTE for programs relating to technical education.The major ives of the ISTE are:
- To formulate the general goals & responsibilities of technical education.
- To adjust curriculum & educational processes to changing conditions.
- To develop effective teachers & educational administrators.
- To improve instructional methods & practices & administrative usages.
- To enhance professional ideals & standards.
- To foster research as a function complementary to teaching.
- To cultivate fraternal spirit amongst the teachers, administrators, industrialists & professionals.
- To bring about effective age between technical institutions industry & society.
- To award honorary fellowships, Awards and Prizes, for furthering the ives of Technical Education.
- ISTE Students Chapter at Karnataka Govt Polytechnic Mangalore established in the academic year 2016-17 to encourage the students to actively participate in ISTE activities and to enhance their technical knowledge in building their career.
ISTE Student Chapter Activities
- Organizing students symposiums and seminars
- Organizing lectures by experts from industry, R&D organizations, defence services, government departments and other institutions.
- Coaching program for writing competitive examinations and attending job interview.
- Supervisory and communication skill development
- Training for self-employment
- Guidance on job opportunities in India and abroad
- Arranging training in industries and visits to industry
- Awareness on social, cultural and ethical values and norms
- Special Coaching and General counselling services